DES MOINES — Head down and go to work. That’s the mantra of both Cullan and Colby Schriever this week at the state wrestling tournament.

The Mason City sophomores began Thursday with dominating wins to reach the Class 3A quarterfinals. Cullan did it by pin and Colby via tech fall.

“I feel good, just ready to wrestle,” Cullan said. “I’m excited. I’ve trained all year for this and now it’s just time to go execute.”

There was never any question in Cullan’s opening-round win at 106 pounds, even with him squaring off vs. the No. 3 wrestler in Grant Harbour. Cullan, the defending champion and top-ranked wrestler at 106, took Harbour to the mat 16 seconds into the first, and was all offense from there.

It was on the third takedown Cullan turned Harbour to his back, and the match was over shortly after as he picked up the pin in 1 minute. It's the second time in two meetings this year Cullan had pinned Harbour.

“I feel any match here is mine to lose,” Cullan said. “If I go put up points, do my stuff, I’m going to be just fine. I just trust my preparation – I’ve done everything right so far, now it’s just time to go get it.”

Cullan meets fifth-ranked Aiden Evans of Bettendorf in Friday’s quarterfinals, and he’s now three wins away from what he’s been thinking about since last year – another state title.

“That’s really all that’s all that’s on my mind now,” he said. “I’m taking it one match at a time, trying to put points up and win matches.”

His brother was equally aggressive in his win at 126 pounds.

Shot after shot landed for Colby throughout his match against Iowa City West’s Keaton Speicher, and it resulted in a 19-4 technical fall in the third period.

“I started just the way I thought I would – go out and score as many points as I could, and I thought I did that right,” Colby said.

Up next, a shot at top-ranked and three-time state champion Brody Teske of Fort Dodge, who is heading to Penn State to wrestle next season.

Colby said that even though he had to take care of business in his opener, the thought of facing Teske was too much to ignore. He still had to keep his head where it needed to be, though.

“All these kids are working to get gold here and they’re all going to be gunning for me, so I’ve got to go hard in all my matches and act like they’re all Teske,” he said.

Troy Monahan kept his hopes of placing alive with a 10-8 win in overtime over fourth-ranked Dylan Olson in the 285 consolation bracket. Monahan gave up a takedown in the closing seconds of the third period, but scored one of his own to win in OT.

Luke Deinhart bounced back after losing by major decision, 13-1, in his opener to stay alive on the back side with a pin in 1:31 vs. Dubuque Hempstead’s Jackson Rigdon.