Anyone out walking in downtown Mason City over the weeks to come might need to plan alternate routes.
For the foreseeable future, the city will be doing sidewalk maintenance that requires workers to put in new paving stones.
According to Mason City Operation & Maintenance Manager Bill Stangler, the project will start on the plaza end of downtown Mason City and move toward East State Street. Eventually pavers all the way down to Fourth Street will be replaced.
At this point, Stangler said that there isn't a specific completion date set and talked about the project more in terms of segments.
In a previous conversation, Stangler said that the stones along the route being replaced "failed" over the course of 10 years and had grown somewhat hazardous so replacement became a necessity.
You have free articles remaining.
Not long after the city approved the $79,385 project, Quarry co-owner Jon Holt, whose business is along the route, said he wasn't worried the work causing disruptions.
He said, as far he's concerned, the city is doing its job and replacing the bricks that need to be done.
According to the memo that went before city council for approval, "a paver much more suitable to freezing and thawing conditions, salt and sand applications was reviewed and selected."
The pavers were selected from Pfeffer Precast and Pfeffer Outdoor Living of Algona and come equipped with 10-year warranties. Their expense is accounted for in 2019-2020 budget for $200,000 which would more than cover the cost of the project.
What a Globe Gazette News+ membership can do for you:
- A deeper examination of local issues than you'll find anywhere else.
- Two products in one – not everything that's in the print edition of the Globe Gazette is on our website, and not everything on our website is in the print edition.
- Access to newspapers.com archives dating back two years.
- The ability to carry your local news with you and receive alerts instantly as news unfolds.
- Advertising that frequently gets you deals you won't find anywhere else.
You can join here (https://bit.ly/2PtWJs1) for as little as $5 a month.