Subscribe for 17¢ / day

WAVERLY -- Law enforcement were releasing limited details Thursday about an officer-involved shooting that left one man dead Wednesday night.

The man, whose identity has not been released, allegedly threatened to harm himself and then struck an unidentified officer with his vehicle, according to the Bremer County Sheriff's Office.

Two officers, who have not been identified, fired at the driver, who died, the sheriff's office said.

Iowa DCI Assistant Director Mitch Mortvedt on Thursday directed questions about the officers involved and any injuries to the agencies involved in the incident, specifically mentioning the Bremer County Sheriff’s Office.

DCI is the lead investigating agency for the incidents leading up to the shooting as well as the officer-involved shooting, Mortvedt said, following standard procedure for shootings involving law enforcement.

He said no more information will be released until later today or over the weekend.

Bremer County Sheriff Dan Pickett on Thursday said he was unable to answer questions on the condition of the officer who was hit by the vehicle or the officers involved in the shooting.

“We’re not trying to keep stuff from you,” he said. “DCI is doing the investigation. ... They want nothing else released at this time.”

Pickett said investigators have to look at a few details before releasing info. He hopes to be able to release the name of the deceased person soon.

It's not known if the officers who shot the man have been put on leave.

“It’s typically left up to the agencies whose officers were involved to make that decision,” Mortvedt said.

The sheriff's office said the incident started about 8:30 p.m. when authorities were sent to Love’s Truck Stop in Floyd for a report of a man with a gun pointed at his head. The man had left on U.S. Highway 218 by the time officers arrived.

Then about 8:49 p.m., a Nashua officer noticed a vehicle traveling at 104 mph on Highway 218.

The officer stopped the vehicle, and the driver exited and pointed a handgun at his head, according to the sheriff's office. A standoff involving Nashua police, Bremer and Chickasaw county deputies and state troopers ensued.

After 40 minutes of negotiation, the driver fired a shot from inside his vehicle, the sheriff's office said. Officers approached the vehicle and found the driver uninjured.

When authorities attempted to detain the man, he drove forward, striking one officer, according to the sheriff's office. Two officers fired and struck the suspect, who died.



Load comments