Mason City's school superintendent will receive a $12,950 raise for the fiscal year beginning July 1.
The school board renewed Dave Versteeg's contract for two years, which includes a 7 percent salary increase for 2019-20, on May 20.
His base salary will increase to $188,900.
The board members had high praise for Versteeg, who became the superintendent on July 1, 2017.
Board President Jodi Draper said she appreciates Versteeg's transparency and honesty, even when he is telling them something that's "going to make us not happy."
Versteeg has built trust with the board, the community and the administrators, according to Draper.
You have free articles remaining.
"If we don't have trust, we don't have a lot," she said.
Draper also said she appreciates that Versteeg is frequently in the classrooms, on the school bus, and at school and community events.
Versteeg also puts education in the classroom first, according to Draper.
"You are passionate about kids and that's what we need," she said.
What a Globe Gazette News+ membership can do for you:
- A deeper examination of local issues than you'll find anywhere else.
- Two products in one – not everything that's in the print edition of the Globe Gazette is on our website, and not everything on our website is in the print edition.
- Access to newspapers.com archives dating back two years.
- The ability to carry your local news with you and receive alerts instantly as news unfolds.
- Advertising that frequently gets you deals you won't find anywhere else.
You can join here (https://bit.ly/2PtWJs1) for as little as $5 a month.