Subscribe for 17¢ / day

MASON CITY | As far as McDonald's and the Cerro Gordo Department of Public Health are concerned, the case concerning fly eggs on a McDouble burger is closed.

McDonald's USA released a statement regarding the health department's review of the McDonald's location on South Federal Avenue and 19th Street Southwest in Mason City. 

"Providing safe food to our customers is one of our top priorities. We take this claim very seriously and partnered with the health department to conduct an independent review. Upon review, the health inspector found no issues and closed the matter," the statement said.

Franchise owner Nancy Carroll was contacted but declined to comment on the matter.

"From our perspective it's closed,” said Brian Haft, service manager and environmental health specialist from the Department of Public Health.

Hanft said that the McDonald's location has never had any major issues like this. Nothing was found on the premises when the health department inspected the facility on Friday. 

"When we do the assessment, we look at how widespread a problem it is," Haft said. There were no other issues or complaints that day.

"We cannot confirm how, when or where it was contaminated," Hanft said. 

The case began when Billie Wentzel bought six McDoubles for herself and her co-workers in the drive-through Thursday afternoon.

Wentzel owns the Weasel's Den, a smoking-related business, and lives in Hampton. 

"I'm a diabetic so I started to eat right away," Wentzel said.

According to Wentzel, Terri Mould noticed white specks on her second cheeseburger after eating her first one.

"It looked like rice," Wentzel said. She took a picture and zoomed in. Wentzel said they immediately thought it was some type of larvae.

She then called her attorney, who advised her to take it to the health department. Wentzel said she took the burger back to McDonald's that evening. 

"When I took it in there, they just kept saying they don't know how this could happen," she said.

In her original Facebook post on the incident, Wentzel said "I'm going to sue them…don't eat there."

On Sunday, she made another post that included photos of the burger. She said that she got diarrhea after the incident and says she still has it. According to Hanft, Wentzel never reported to the department that she had become ill.

The Cerro Gordo Department of Public Health met with her on Friday. Hanft directed her to the Iowa State University Extension Office in Ames for the specimen to be examined.

Dr. Ken Holscher from the office emailed her confirming that it was some type of fly eggs but the exact type could not be determined through the microscope.

"It wasn't fly larvae," Holscher said. He said he couldn't comment or speculate about how the eggs got onto the burger.

"Once it leaves the drive-through window, I don't know how that hamburger was handled," Holscher said. He also said that in his opinion the case will go to litigation.

Wentzel said that she plans to seek further legal action.

0
0
0
0
0

Load comments