MASON CITY | A Mason City man who has been in and out of jail throughout the year for allegedly violating no-contact orders and repeated criminal mischief charges surrounding one woman was jailed for violating another no-contact order.

Nathaniel Elmer Pope, 36, is charged with violating a no-contact order - harassment/stalking following an incident Wednesday.

According to court documents, Pope had been frequently texting the woman protected by the no-contact order around 7 a.m. that day. He is also suspected of setting her garage on fire, the violation report said. 

“Defendant is also suspected of starting the victim’s garage on fire,” the violation report said. 

Pope was release on bond.

He was initially charged with misdemeanor domestic abuse assault causing bodily injury, first offense on Nov. 29, 2017.

He was arrested on a warrant Dec. 15. A no-contact order to protect the woman was issued Dec. 16.

Pope is accused of violating the order Dec. 19 after being released from jail. He is accused of taking her phone and throwing a bottle of Rumple Minz at her car, breaking the driver's side window and causing $660 in damage. 

He was charged with misdemeanor third-degree criminal mischief for breaking the car window and misdemeanor false imprisonment. 

Pope accepted an agreement in which he pleaded guilty to the domestic abuse charge. The false imprisonment charge was dismissed. 

Mason City man who threatened to kill woman faces multiple no-contact order violations

He is accused of violating the no-contact order again on April 8 by continuously texting the woman around 1:50 a.m. that day. 

He was sentenced to 14 days in jail and fined $315 for the domestic abuse charge May 2. The no-contact order violations from December and April were dismissed.

Pope was arrested May 10 for failing to appear for a court hearing for the December criminal mischief charge. He was released after posting $2,000 bond and pleaded guilty to the charge July 3.

On June 21, Pope was charged with misdemeanor third-degree criminal mischief, first-degree harassment and violation of a no-contact order following an incident in the 800 block of South Polk.

Police say he broke the windshield on the woman's car and damaged the rear bumper, causing between $500 and $1,000 in damage. Court documents say he told the woman "he was going to kill her."

Pope was arrested and released from the jail after posting bond June 25. Another no-contact order was issued June 22.

He pleaded not guilty to all charges. A jury trial in that case is scheduled for Oct. 2.

Pope is also accused of violating a no-contact order July 14. Police say he was at the woman's residence and talked to her that day.

Pope was arrested and booked into the Cerro Gordo County Jail July 18. He posted bond and was released July 20.

He pleaded guilty to two no-contact order violations and was sentenced to 10 days in jail with credit for time served. He was granted work release.

On July 30, Pope was arrested after failing to appear for sentencing. He was sentenced Aug. 20 to 14 days in jail. A $625 fine was suspended, but he was ordered to pay $482.30 in victim restitution.

Sign up for our Crime & Courts newsletter

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Contact Courtney at 641-421-0534 or on Twitter @CourtneyFiorini.



Load comments