Nearly seven years after Cerro Gordo officials established regulations for the use of golf carts in unincorporated county areas, the ordinance is heading toward a change.
The county board of supervisors on Tuesday unanimously approved, on first reading, Ordinance 55A, which would make changes to seating, fees and flag requirements.
Where previous language stated that "no more than two persons shall ride in or on a golf cart while it is being operated on a county road," Cerro Gordo County Director of Administrative Services Tom Meyer suggested that the wording be adjusted to say that there could not be more than two people per seat in a golf cart.
Meyer added that the permitting fee, due Jan. 1 of each year, would be raised from $10 to $25.
You have free articles remaining.
As for a flag, one of the three pieces of required equipment spelled out in the 2012 amendment, drivers would now need to have a flag on a pole at least 6-feet tall. Golf carts would also still need a slow-moving vehicle sign and adequate brakes.
Meyer also confirmed that golf carts would be able to operate on any road in unincorporated areas that does not have a posted speed of 55 mph. Ordinance 55 initially said that "Golf carts shall not be operated on any county road which has a posted speed limit greater than 45 mph."
In addition to still needing a slow-moving sign and adequate brakes, Meyer said that approval would continue to go through the Cerro Gordo County Sheriff's office and applicants would need a valid driver's license and valid insurance.
What a Globe Gazette News+ membership can do for you:
- A deeper examination of local issues than you'll find anywhere else.
- Two products in one – not everything that's in the print edition of the Globe Gazette is on our website, and not everything on our website is in the print edition.
- Access to newspapers.com archives dating back two years.
- The ability to carry your local news with you and receive alerts instantly as news unfolds.
- Advertising that frequently gets you deals you won't find anywhere else.
You can join here (https://bit.ly/2PtWJs1) for as little as $5 a month.