Historic and special barns in Black Hawk, Grundy, Butler, and Bremer counties will be featured on the Iowa Barn Foundation's spring tour.
The self-guided tour, free and open to the public, will be held Saturday, June 13, and Sunday, June 14, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
The Iowa Barn Foundation was founded in 1997 and is dedicated to encouraging the knowledge and preservation of Iowa barns, symbols of the state's rich agricultural heritage.
Lunch will be served Saturday at the Hamann barn, 21461 240th St., Grundy Center. The landmark barn is on the west edge of town and on the north side of Highways 14 and 175. The cost of the lunch is $11 per person.
For reservations for the lunch, send a check, made out to the Iowa Barn Foundation, to Mindy Hamann, 21461 240th St., Grundy Center, IA 50638. Checks must be received by June 8.
A program on post and beam construction, restoration and maintenance will be presented at the Hamann barn at 1 p.m. on Saturday, June 13.
The tour will feature the following barns:
Rownd barn, 4119 S. Main St., Cedar Falls (Black Hawk County)
Built by Samuel H. Rownd Sr. about 1860, this barn is a good example of a German bank barn. Built into a bank, this site allowed for a two-story barn with access to the upper level being a driveway on the higher side of the bank. Rownd moved to the Cedar Falls area in 1859. He began purchasing farm land and with his sons eventually owned 7,000 acres, including the land on which the University of Northern Iowa was built.
Directions: At the intersection of U.S. Highway 20 and Highway 58, turn north on Highway 58 and travel 2 miles to Greenhill Road, then east about a half-mile to South Main Street (stop light). Turn left or north on South Main Street. The barn, at 4119 is in the first block on the west side of the street.
Hardin County Farm Museum, 203 Washington St., Eldora (Hardin County)
The Robert and Barbara Brown family donated two acres of ground to the Hardin County Farm Museum in 1996. On the two acres are a barn, corn crib, silo, and two machine sheds. A focal point is the large (32 x 80 feet) round-roofed barn which was built in the late 1930s and used primarily for dairy. Nine additional acres have been added to raise oats for threshing and corn for hand harvesting. About 90 pieces of large farm machinery and some 400 smaller antiques can be found on the farm.
Directions: Take Highway 175 into Eldora and turn north on Washington Street (stop light). Go north to 203 N. Washington St.
Round Rownd barn, 5118 South Main St., Cedar Falls (Black Hawk County)
This barn, on the National Register of Historic Places, is on the site of Western Homes' Windgrace and Windemere independent living residences. This round barn is built of concrete blocks and has an aerator and a two-pitch roof. It was built in 1911 by the Samuel Rownd family who built the barn at 4119 Main St. It is a true round barn — not octagonal.
Directions: From the intersection of US 20 and Highway 58, go north about 2 miles to Greenhill Road. Turn east on Greenhill Road about a half mile to South Main Street (stop light), then right or south on South Main .5 miles to 5118 South Main.
The Hamann barn, 21461 240th St., Grundy Center (Grundy County)
This landmark barn was built in 1907. It was known as the Worthwhile Frost dairy barn and was constructed using the post and beam style. Dowels or wooden pins connect the beams to the post. The adjoining silo was constructed after the top window and the roof structure were completed.
Directions: The Hamann barn is on the west edge of Grundy Center on the north side of 240th Street (local name for Highways 14 and 175).
The Miller barn, 310 20th St. S.W., Waverly (Bremer County)
This barn was constructed in 1913 by brothers W.H. and Gilbert Miller. This large barn was built in the post and beam style with locally grown cedar and oak. The Millers milked Guernsey cows and went house to house selling some of the milk. The balance was sent to a Carnation condensed milk production facility in Waverly where Carnation Milk Products Co. began producing condensed milk in 1928.
Employees of Trillium Dell Timberworks will be at the barn to explain post and beam construction, maintenance and restoration.
Directions: The Miller barn is on Highway 3 on the west edge of Waverly. It is south of Redeemer Lutheran Church, east of CUNA Mutual campus, and west of Bremwood and Lutheran Services of Iowa.
Destival barn, 1350 260th St., Waverly (Bremer County)
The Destival barn is a true round barn as opposed to a multi-sided barn, and was built with round clay tile, a process developed by Iowa State agricultural engineers. There is a silo in the middle of the barn also made from clay tile. The silo allowed feed to be accessed close to the feeding station. The Destival barn was used for dairy, and the stanchions are still in place as well as four pens for holding calves. The roof has two pitches making more storage room in the loft.
Directions: The Destival barn is located west of Highway 218/27 on 260th Street (north of Janesville and south of Waverly). Drive west on 260th Street about a mile. Barn is on south side of 260th Street.
Stukenburg Barn, 18554 Highway 57, Aplington (Butler County)
This barn is built of solid concrete from the foundation to the eaves. The builders then covered the concrete with mesh and applied stucco. The barn was built by Charles Wilke, a local carpenter, in 1900. He built a similar but smaller barn a mile south of this barn, which was destroyed by wind.