Following an appearance at Wednesday night's debate in Atlanta, presidential candidate and billionaire philanthropist Tom Steyer will stop in North Iowa this weekend for two campaign events.
During the debates, Steyer raised the idea of term limits for members of Congress. Similar plans, in the past, have been struck down for being unconstitutional (in U.S. Term Limits, Inc v. Thorton) and reported on as actually increasing the influence of lobbyists in the political process (in 2006 paper by the National Conference of State Legislatures).
You have free articles remaining.
He also reaffirmed that his number one priority, were he to be elected, would be addressing the issue of climate change which he has said is "the existential threat to humanity."
Specifically, Steyer has said that he would declare a "national climate emergency on day one" and use the office to address the problem.
In the latest Des Moines Register poll, Steyer is tied for fifth behind: South Bend, Indiana Mayor Pete Buttigieg, Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.), Senator Bernie Sanders (D-Vt.), former Vice President Joe Biden and Senator Amy Klobuchar (D-Minn.)
What a Globe Gazette News+ membership can do for you:
- A deeper examination of local issues than you'll find anywhere else.
- Two products in one – not everything that's in the print edition of the Globe Gazette is on our website, and not everything on our website is in the print edition.
- Access to newspapers.com archives dating back two years.
- The ability to carry your local news with you and receive alerts instantly as news unfolds.
- Advertising that frequently gets you deals you won't find anywhere else.
You can join here (https://bit.ly/2PtWJs1) for as little as $5 a month.
Reach Reporter Jared McNett at 641-421-0527. Follow him on Twitter and Instagram at @TwoHeadedBoy98.