In December 2018, the former Wooz's Car Wash in Mason City was demolished. Cleared out to make room for the first Kwik Star in town.
By late fall, that station will be open and dispensing gas to travelers and selling fountain drinks to parched customers.
Excavation finally started on the site at 1502 S. Federal Ave. in Mason City this week and, according to Kwik Star Spokesman John McHugh, will be operating by Nov. 22.
"We’re pretty consistent with our dates," McHugh confidently affirmed. "Good news is because we’re not really dealing with substantial winter weather."
Kwik Star, a La Crosse, Wisconsin-based chain, purchased Wooz’s, a longtime car wash and full-service gas station, and parking surrounding the building for $488,000 in June 2018.
You have free articles remaining.
According to Steve Wrobel, another spokesman for Kwik Star, the store will be about 10,000 square feet, include a car wash and employ 25 to 30 full-and-part-time people.
The chain has more than 400 stores, including ones in Clear Lake, Charles City and Garner. Its stores in Minnesota and Wisconsin are known as Kwik Trip, while the locations in Iowa are called Kwik Star to avoid confusion with QuikTrip stores.
This April brought news that the Cerro Gordo County Board of Supervisors were selling land for $450,000 on South Eisenhower Avenue for a second location. However construction has not yet started at that address.
What a Globe Gazette News+ membership can do for you:
- A deeper examination of local issues than you'll find anywhere else.
- Two products in one – not everything that's in the print edition of the Globe Gazette is on our website, and not everything on our website is in the print edition.
- Access to newspapers.com archives dating back two years.
- The ability to carry your local news with you and receive alerts instantly as news unfolds.
- Advertising that frequently gets you deals you won't find anywhere else.
You can join here (https://bit.ly/2PtWJs1) for as little as $5 a month.