After 15 years, the lone Best Buy in North Central Iowa is closing its doors.
On Nov. 2, the store front at 440 Indianhead Drive in Mason City is shuttering because of what one employee called "a leasing issue, not a sales issue."
Effectively the company didn't wish to renew its multi-year lease which was confirmed by company spokesman John Vomhof.
According to that same local employee, who did not want to be identified, workers at the location only found out Sunday night that the store would be closing in less than two months.
"It's nothing that we want," the employee said. "Us here, we want to save the store if we can."
The location, which employs 20 full-time workers (as well as several part time), is one of two closing on Nov. 2 of this year.
Best Buy's closing marks one of several in the Indianhead Square and Willow Creek Crossing complex over the past several years including Fashion Bug, MC Sports, rue 21, Cabin Coffee, PostNet and RadioShack.
You have free articles remaining.
At the same time, businesses such as Pasta Bella, Buckle and Jo-Ann Fabric have moved into the area over the past several years.
According to North Iowa Corridor Economic Development Corporation President & CEO Chad Schreck, though the group doesn't deal with the retail side as much it will be assisting other business-minded groups in the community to try and fill the space.
"It's an important retail corridor for the community and we want to make sure it stays that way," Schreck said.
With the Mason City Best Buy closure, the closest Iowa storefront for the electronics retailer is in Waterloo.
What a Globe Gazette News+ membership can do for you:
- A deeper examination of local issues than you'll find anywhere else.
- Two products in one – not everything that's in the print edition of the Globe Gazette is on our website, and not everything on our website is in the print edition.
- Access to newspapers.com archives dating back two years.
- The ability to carry your local news with you and receive alerts instantly as news unfolds.
- Advertising that frequently gets you deals you won't find anywhere else.
You can join here (https://bit.ly/2PtWJs1) for as little as $5 a month.