The Mason City Foundation would like to take the opportunity to clarify the purpose of the Mason City Foundation and the Music Man Square. At this point in time, we want to ensure that the citizens of Mason City and North Iowa in general, understand the mission of the Mason City Foundation and The Music Man Square. It is our hope, as a board of directors, that by doing so it will allow the public to understand how the River City Renaissance Project will enhance the Music Man Square and allow our mission to continue.
What we are:
• The Music Man Square is owned and operated by the Mason City Foundation.
• Mason City Foundation is a not-for-profit 501(c) (3) organization and is governed by a volunteer board of directors. The Mason City Foundation is an independent not-for-profit organization that is not connected to the City of Mason City or in any way supported by the city.
• The Mason City Foundation and The Music Man Square both do not receive tax money for operations.
• Primary mission of The Music Man Square is to promote, preserve and showcase the legacy of Meredith Willson.
• The Music Man Square also promotes music education in the area, serving as a center for community music events, education, and music lessons.
We, as a board of directors, are in full support of the River City Renaissance Project. This project will not in any way change the beauty of the streetscape and reunion hall. In addition, the new museum will only enhance the awareness of Meredith Willson and his legacy. Not only will this project impact the Mason City economy, this project will create an updated business model for The Music Man Square to ensure its sustainability.
Jon Prebeck, on behalf of the Mason City Foundation