We know some of you will procrastinate with your Christmas shopping. But for many of us this will be the last big weekend of shopping before we settle in to enjoy time with family and friends.
While you’re running to and fro, we’d like you to pause for just a minute to consider a gift to the Cheer Fund, which could use a boost going down the stretch toward Christmas.
The Cheer Fund operates out of Globe Gazette offices. It’s where applications are dropped off and where gift cards are mailed out of. All the money we receive goes to those in need. And from reading the many applications, the need is great, such as:
• A 69-year-old woman who lost her home over a year ago and needs food. She simply would like to be able to buy a fruitcake.
• A woman, 59, who lives alone and on a fixed income, and who looks to the Cheer Fund for food to get her through the month.
MASON CITY | Many Cheer Fund applicants expect to spend the holidays alone this year.
• A father, 38, who says money is tight for his family of four and who would like to be able to buy presents for his children. “We can’t afford any,” he said.
• An 86-year-old woman who is “praying for Christmas to help me.”
MASON CITY | Some elderly North Iowa residents turn to the Cheer Fund for help buying food, …
• A man who is unemployed due to cancer and chemotherapy would like a Cheer Fund gift to buy food and/or gifts for his four children under age 16.
MASON CITY – Mason City residents who are struggling with health or are experiencing difficu…
Stories like these and hundreds of others are why we do the Cheer Fund, why we count on people in North Iowa and across the country for help.
Just as touching as are the requests for assistance are some of the notes we receive with donations. Many come in memory of loved ones. Many are simply listed as “anonymous” – people wanting to help whoever and however they can.
So here’s the deal: As of Wednesday, $61,408 has been raised. Another $63,592 is needed to reach this year’s goal of $125,000. And time is ticking away rapidly. Applications close at noon Dec. 22 so cards can be distributed in time for Christmas.
We hope you can help. Give whatever you can but please consider giving soon. Drop off your donations at the Globe Gazette or 300 N. Washington Ave. in Mason City or mail them to the Christmas Cheer Fund, Box 271, Mason City, IA 50402-0271.
We guarantee that your gift, no matter the size, will help someone in North Iowa have a better, brighter Christmas – just like every Christmas since the Cheer Fund’s founding in 1927.
Thank you, and Merry Christmas!