Subscribe for 17¢ / day
Holiday Inn Express

The Holiday Inn Express in Mason City was evacuated after chemical fumes were released at the hotel Sunday.

MASON CITY | Thirteen people received medical attention Sunday after inhaling chlorine gas at the Holiday Inn Express.

Six of those patients were transported to Mercy Medical Center-North Iowa by ambulance, according to Mason City Fire Department Capt. Jared Ogbourne.

All 13 were treated and released, according to a hospital spokeswoman.

Ogbourne said bleach and acid were mixed accidentally in the laundry room on the first floor of the hotel, creating chlorine gas.

Chlorine gas is "something you don't want to inhale," he said.

The fumes were mainly contained to the first floor, but the entire hotel was evacuated as a precaution, Ogbourne said.

The Fire Department received the call from the hotel at 11:42 a.m. Medics set up in the parking lot and began checking hotel employees and guests at the scene.

The Fire Department was at the scene until shortly after 3 p.m.

Hotel staff was back in the building late Sunday afternoon. A hotel spokeswoman said the hotel would re-open to the public at 7 a.m. Monday.

"The Holiday Inn Express & Suites Mason City hotel holds the safety, comfort and well-being of our guests and employees as our top priority and concern," said general manager Crystal Shellhart in a press release.

"We are able to report that all guests and employees were evacuated promptly and that those who displayed symptoms received medical care and have been released."

 
0
0
0
0
0

Digital Editor

Digital Editor for the Globe Gazette

Load comments