Accomplishments of 2018 Legislative Session
The 2018 session of the 87th General Assembly adjourned for the year after completing the people’s business.
The historic 2018 session was successful in addressing the needs of Iowans.
This session will be remembered for its pragmatic, common sense solutions to Iowa’s most pressing challenges. We continued to make our K-12 schools a top priority, addressed many of the health care issues that Iowans face, and passed measures to keep Iowans safe and protect their fundamental rights.
To cap it all off, we passed generational tax reform that will provide significant relief to Iowa families and small businesses. This tax reform plan is responsible and sustainable, ensuring state government can continue to fund key priorities like education, health care, and public safety.
Some of the most significant pieces of legislation from this session include:
Addressing Iowa’s Health Care Challenges
• Comprehensive mental health reform (House File 2456)
• New options for high quality, affordable health care coverage (Senate File 2349)
• Accountability and oversight of Iowa’s Medicaid program (Senate File 2418)
• Efforts to combat Iowa’s opioid epidemic (House File 2377)
• Expanding health care to rural Iowa (House File 2305)
Prioritizing K-12 Education
• Record investment in K-12 schools (House File 2230)
• Transportation cost relief (Senate File 455)
• Reducing inequity in the school funding formula (Senate File 455)
• Increased flexibility for school districts (House File 2441)
• School safety measures (Senate File 2364, Senate File 2113)
Growing Iowans’ pocketbooks and opportunity
• Generational tax reform (House File 2489)
• Future Ready Iowa Act (House File 2458)
• Investing in Community Colleges and job training programs (Senate File 2415)
• Reducing energy costs for consumers (Senate File 2311)
• Ensuring safe communities (Senate File 481)
• Constitutional amendment for gun rights (House Joint Resolution 2009)
• Defending unborn life (Senate File 359)
• Cracking down on card skimmers (House File 2199)
During the interim, Rep. Gassman can be reached at Tedd.Gassman@legis.iowa.gov.