Fire weblogo

FOREST CITY | A fire that temporarily displaced a Forest City family from their home was caused by faulty wiring in the garage, according Fire Chief Mark Johnson.

The fire at 406 West G St. was reported shortly before noon Thursday. 

The owners of the home are Christal and Lee Dutcher, according to Winnebago County online property records. 

Johnson said five people were in the home at the time the fire broke out in the attached garage. They reported fire and smoke were coming into the house. 

When firefighters arrived, they found the garage wasn't totally engulfed, according to Johnson. However, he said  there was a lot of smoke in both the garage and the house.

Firefighters extinguished the blaze. The Garner Fire Department was called to the scene for mutual aid. 

Johnson said the fire damage was contained to the garage, but there was a significant amount of heat and smoke damage to the house.

The American Red Cross responded to the scene to assist the Dutcher family.

Johnson said they will be able to move back into the home once it is cleaned up. 

The garage sustained some structural damage but the roof is intact, according to Johnson.

He said the family has insurance on the house. 

No one was injured in the blaze and the family's pets are safe, according to Johnson.  

0
0
0
0
0

Load comments