MASON CITY — Una Vocis Choral Ensemble will present its annual Christmas concert, "This Child, This Light," and traditional “savories and sweets” reception at 7 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 17, at Holy Family Catholic Church, 714 N. Adams Ave.
Artistic Director Dennis Lee and Una Vocis will be accompanied by Des Moines-area harpist Kristin Maahs as well as Camille Lee and Maria Meyer on flute.
Una Vocis accompanist Mary Jane Crail will perform with the choir and for the audience sing-alongs, which include "Once in Royal David’s City," "What Child is This?" "Joy to the World," "Away in a Manger," and "Hark! The Herald Angels Sing."
The concert opens with Jan Sweelinck’s motet for Christmas Eve, "Hodie Christus Natus Est," followed by Jocelyn Hagen’s arrangement of Kanto’s "Night of Silence." Tomas Luis de Victoria’s "Ave Maria" is paired with the world premiere of "Joseph," an Una Vocis-commissioned work examining the Nativity story from Joseph’s perspective, by Twin Cities composer Timothy Takach and poet Michael Dennis Browne.
The second half opens with Matthew Culloton’s "In Dulci Jubilo" and Eric Whitacre’s "Sainte-Chapelle." Peter Wilhousky’s "Carol of the Bells," Whitacre’s "Glow" and Fred Pentice’s arrangement of "Sing We Now of Christmas" close the program.
"Adveni," Una Vocis’ 2013 Christmas CD, will be for sale during intermission and the reception.
Both church and fellowship hall are handicap-accessible.
Advance tickets are $10 for adults, $5 for students, and are available at Soyphisticated Candles, 932 E. State St., Mason City, by calling The Electricians, 641-423-1867 or toll free, 877-577-8658, from Una Vocis members or at www.unavocis.org. Tickets at the door are $12 for adults and $6 for students.
• Artistic director, Dennis Lee.
• Accompanist, Mary Jane Crail.
• Soprano I: Angie Daoud, Dawn Groszkruger, Maria Meyer, Melissa Nath, Melissa Shallberg.
• Soprano II: Gwen Hohman-Bultje, Teresa Janssen, Leah Karalius, Mara Ouverson, Stephanie Prohaski.
• Alto I: Claudia Collier, Camille Lee, Susan Rebedeau, George Riesen.
• Alto II: Judy Delperdang, Angie Johnson, Laurie Lichman, Joan Murray.
• Tenor I: Mike Ostrander, Rod Pump.
• Tenor II: Andrew Bruns, Jeff Hines, Jay Leaman, John Nolan.
• Bass I: Leigh Boehmer, Bill Haun, Mark Johnson, Rod Schlader.
• Bass II: Paul Collier, Adam Lewis, Bill Riesen, Andy Swyter.